Monday, February 13, 2006

What I did for Darwin’s birthday

Saturday, sort of on the spur of the moment, I decided to drive down to Salem to attend a Darwin Day event at Willamette University. I’m really glad I did.

The program started with a panel discussion that included representatives from four disciplines: Biology (David Craig), Rhetoric and Media Study (Nacho Cordova), History of Science (Myles Jackson), and Religion (Douglas McGaughey). Good discussion. Very involved audience. Just wish we’d heard more from the students in the audience. (Looked like about 30-40 people in attendance.)

Then there was cake and conversation – during which time I determined that Nacho Cordova was one of the few people ever to leave a comment on this blog. Small world.

The part I especially wanted to be there for was the education panel, featuring both young and veteran science teachers from local area high schools and middle schools (Zach Holmboe, Steve Holman, Jason Niedermeyer, Danny Ramirez, and Gena Dwyer). I was really impressed with the passion they had for their subject. And with the creative ways they approached the teaching of biology and evolution.

So, how did you celebrate Darwin Day? Let’s start making plans for next year!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Gerry! My second comment! It was indeed fun, and nice. I think it would be nice to have more of these events. It was good meeting you!

2/16/06, 10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And send me a photo of your cake, if you make one for Darwin Day next year. I'll post it, to inspire others to do the same.

2/17/06, 7:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the area (Beaverton, near Rigert and 170th) and didn't know this was going on. I'll try to attend next year.

4/8/06, 9:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home