Friday, September 02, 2005

Family reunion

I’ll be gone for the next week or so. I’m heading off for a family reunion of sorts. Going to spend some time with a large gathering of some very distant cousins. I’ll be in Alamagordo, New Mexico, doing volunteer work at Save the Chimps, a true sanctuary for over 200 former research chimps. There I will spend most of the day doing laundry and preparing treats. (No, they don’t wear clothes. They get blankets and sheets to use as nesting material.)

For several years I’ve had the pleasure -- and honor -- of working closely with chimpanzees. I can’t imagine how anyone could gaze into the eyes of these magnificent beings and have any doubt how closely related we are – or be the least bit bothered by the idea. No, that’s not a very scientific statement, but my affection for some very special chimps – and for chimpdom in general -- leaves my mind open to the concept of common descent.

1 Comments:

Blogger John Evo said...

I finally made it over to your blog. Looks like you’ve been away almost as long as I have been from mine. I've had some work problems and it's really kept me away from doing this. I'll hopefully get back to it sometime soon.

It's fascinating what you do with the chimps! I hope you have had a chance to look over the chimp material in the Sept. 1 issue of Nature. It will add to your strong appreciate of our closest relative. See Carl Zimmer’s blog entry about the article at The Loom.

Your vacation is over. Get back to work!

9/15/05, 9:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home